Should Roofing Contractors Worry About Duplicate Content?
Yes and no. The idea that duplicate content is a Google penalty is a myth. However, that does not mean that redundent content is good for your roofing website or its search engine optimization. While you will not be penalized by Google, content duplication can still cause a few problems, including:
- Plagiarism: If you scrape and duplicate content without permission, it is subject to removal under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act
- Self Competition: If you construct duplicate pages, perhaps on separate websites, you are asking Google to choose just one, and therefore render the other one useless
- User Experience: Presenting scraped content goes against Google’s quality standards because it is not unique and users have likely already read it somewhere else
These are unlikely to cause dire consequences for roofing websites. If the worse thing that can happen is the wrong page is indexed, that won’t destroy your online reputation. Still, for your overall marketing strategy, it is best to optimize your website in every way possible, including identical content prevention. Call (800) 353-5758 for a roofer duplicate content check.
What Causes Duplicate Content on Roofing Websites?
Content duplication is spoken about so much, usually to perpetuate the myth that it is a Google penalty. But what is seldom mentioned about identical content, is its initial cause. Did you know that most cases of content duplication are actually unintentional, and non deceptive? Consider these common causes:
- Pagination: Improperly segmented web pages and links can cause search crawlers to interpret duplicated content
- URL Alteration: If improperly optimized, WWW versions of your website are actually interpreted as completely separate pages from your non-WWW pages, and thus present identical content
- Website Migration: When roofing contractors start a new website, they often take content from their old website and place it on their new one — when failing to use a 301 redirect from the old site, to the new site, you are actually duplicating content for search engines
Outside of the blatant copy/paste that does happen on occasion, content duplication is generally accidental, non-deceptive, and well-intentioned. If you are not sure whether you have duplication issues or not, Roofing Webmasters can make that determination for you. We offer duplication check for roofing websites.
Fixing Duplicate Content Issues For Roofing Companies
If it turns out your website does present duplicated content, there are several things that can be done to correct it. In many cases, professional web designers can fix the problem quite easily. Among the solutions for duplicate content issues are:
- 301 Redirection: Users who land on a URL containing identical content will be re-routed to the more optimal page
- Canonicalization: The use of tags within website code to signal the “master-copy” of certain web pages
- URL Parameters: Indicating to search engines which of your URLs to prioritize
Roofing Webmasters offers content duplication checking and monitoring for roofing companies. We will first determine any sources of identical content on your website and we will then correct the problem with the methods mentioned above. After that, we will continue to monitor your content and ensure no additional duplications are made. Call (800) 353-5758 for a roofer duplicate content check.