As a roofing contractor, online marketing is a big part of your business. After all, 88% of consumers who search for a service company via mobile device, contact a business within 24 hours. Leads drive every roofing business, and the greatest source for them is Google search. Sure, other channels exist, but none of them have the same volume of daily users. Most contractors know the importance of Google in 2019, and therefore make a concerted effort to implement SEO, otherwise known as search engine optimization.
There are several outlets contractors pursue for search engine optimization. Sometimes they attempt to handle it on their own. Other times they hire help. When properly integrated, SEO can produce high quality leads for roofing companies and increase their sales revenue considerably. With that said, SEO has often misapplied, and ends up causing more harm than good. Here are 10 common SEO mistakes made by roofing companies and the people that market them:
1. Archaic Techniques
Let’s face it, SEO is constantly changing. Google has evolved quite a bit since is inception in 1998. There were tactics that worked 20, and 10 years ago, that no longer work at all. Improvements to Google’s algorithm has placed a greater premium on user experience, and strongly discouraged manipulation. Still, some websites continue to utilize old school techniques that are hurting their visibility more than helping it. So what are some archaic SEO techniques?
- City Pages: Mass producing duplicate pages and then swapping out the city name
- Keyword Stuffing: Using an identical keyword repeatedly and naturally within content
- Link Building: Creating inbound links from relevant external domains back to your own
2. Template Designs
Cheaper isn’t always better. But with roofers feeling obligated to implement an SEO strategy, their first idea is often to choose a stock website template designed for roofing companies. It might be free, or cost up to $50, but it will never be unique. Google prefers designs that are created from scratch and have the proper back-end coding to encourage crawling and indexing. Although the design appears satisfactory to the user, Google cannot properly index it. Why?
- Mobile Optimization: Many templates are not mobile-optimized
- Redundancy: Single templates are used on hundreds to thousands of sites
- Professionalism: Templates decrease the legitimacy of your online brand
3. Mobile Deficiencies
You would think by 2019 every single website would be mobile optimized. Unfortunately that isn’t the case. Some websites are still using desktop-first designs which give the mobile user trouble in terms of navigation and consumption. What’s more prevalent however is sites that are mobile-friendly in presentation, but not in crawlability. These sites can be navigated effectively via smartphone and tablet, but they discourage mobile crawling and indexing. The result is:
- Crawling & Indexing: Google bots have trouble indexing poorly optimized mobile sites
- Lower Rankings: Google prefers to rank mobile optimized sites higher
User Experience: Navigation and display are not the only part of experience
4. Scraped Content
Who has time to write a full website on roofing services? I’ll tell you who certainly doesn’t. And that’s you, as a full time roofer. There’s no realistic way to write high quality content for each service due to the time constraints your job constitutes. Contractors attempt to get around this quandary by scraping content from other sites and publishing it on their own. This is plagiarism and unethical, but in terms of SEO, it simply doesn’t work. Here’s why it doesn’t work:
- Duplicate Content: Google interprets your content as identical to another site, and ignores it
- Penalization: In the most blatant cases, a manual Google Penalty is not out of the question
- Plagiarism: There’s nothing ethical about stealing other people’s content
5. Stock Photos
Roofing websites are filled with ridiculous looking stock photos of actors and models attempting to look like real contractors. The sight of even one of these photos devalues the credibility of your site. As people are now exposed to more websites than ever, you can rest assured that they know the difference between a stock image and an authentic photo of your roofing company. And because of the user’s response, you can bet Google has followed suit. Stock photos are:
- Comedic: Your visitors won’t be laughing with you, but instead at you
- Mass Published: Have been used on countless websites before yours
- Unprofessional: Depict your company in an unprofessional light
Looking to Improve Your Roofing Company’s SEO?
Roofing Webmasters is the number on provider of SEO services for contractors across the nation. We specialize in the roofing industry, as evidenced by our hundreds of satisfied clients, each of whom have their own unique website. We’ve produced excellent results for our customers, and would be happy to get started on your campaign as soon as possible. Our techniques are modern and evolving alongside every update to Google’s algorithm. We stay on top of the latest marketing trends so that you can focus on the day to day operation of your business. Some of the specific SEO services provided to our clients include:
- On Page SEO: Title Tag, Header Tag, Meta Description, Keyword Placement
- Content Marketing: Blog Posts, Quality Content, Service Pages, Social Shares
- Off Site SEO: NAP Citations, White Hat Link Building, Local SEO (Google My Business / Maps)
- Technical SEO: Schema Markup, Semantic Markup, Speed Optimization, Mobile Design, Etc.